Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Photography Changes Family History

On my last post, I gave you a website to check out. . .. I am finding the website is amazing. I found a wonderful story entitled "Photography Changes Family History". 
Below is the link:
http://click.si.edu/Story.aspx?story=226

The author of this article, Maureen Taylor, said something so poetic about photography in families, "
The full story of a person’s life is often portrayed in a pictorial timeline from birth through death in baby pictures, school portraits, occupational images, wedding poses, and even postmortem images, but they are all icons for a deeper story. In our minds, family photographs become synonymous with a specific point in th
at person’s life and visually frozen in time in our memories. Yet by discerning the clues in each one, our family pictures not only inform and remind us of the past but also let us see reflections of ourselves, today, in the mirror of our family history."

With that being said, I am posting a picture of my youngest daughter, Lexi, on a spontaneous day of shopping.



For me, this picture captures the day so well, and it captures Lexi perfectly!! It was a fabulous day, one I want to always remember, but having read this article, I can't help but wonder what Lexi's own daughters might possibly say some day when they come across this picture. Will they see themselves in their mom? Will they see their mom in completely different eyes? What questions will this picture conjure up? When you look at photography as a means of expression of character and a mark in history, it makes it such an exciting medium!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment